Saturday, November 6, 2010

Naked Baby Orange Zest Breakfast Cakes

Ahhh, I love breakfast. Especially when my wife and I cook together. ;) 


For this recipe, I have to give credit where credit is due. My wife, the little breakfast queen not only loves to bake but she also loves to fill my belly full of good breakfast foods and because she is vegan, she loves creating new things that remind her of what conventional breakfast tastes like. This in my opinion is one of her masterpieces. 


NAKED BABY ORANGE ZEST BREAKFAST CAKES


1 cup Flour
1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder 
1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt 
1/2 cup Cornmeal
2 tablespoons Coconut Oil
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract 
2 tablespoons Maple Syrup 
1 1/2 cups Almond or Soymilk
1/2 cup Water
Orange zest of one small orange.
*1 tablespoon Chia Seeds + 3 tablespoons Hot Water (mix chia seeds w/ hot water and set aside.)

-Heat skillet or pancake griddle on medium heat.  
-Sift together four, baking soda and salt, add to cornmeal in large bowl. 
-In another bowl, mix together oil, vanilla, maple syrup, milk, water, orange zest and chia seed mixture.
-Add wet ingredients to the dry and stir just until combined.
-Use a little cooking spray in pan and pour batter (about a 1/4 cup at a time.)
-Cook about 4 min, bubbles will form, then flip. Cook to a light golden brown on each side.

Serve right away with Earth Balance butter and pure maple syrup!
Garnish w/ fresh organic applesauce and sprinkle with cinnamon.

Serves 2




Say good morning to my little friend, ENJOY!

Naked Dude Chef

No comments:

Post a Comment